Monday, January 27, 2020

STAR Teacher And STAR Student Of The Year 2020



STAR Student of the Year: Varun Kasibhatla
Mr. Allen helped me become a better version of myself by pushing me inside and outside the classroom. As a teacher, Mr. Allen challenged me to voice my opinion in my writing, even if people would disagree. He taught me to not be afraid to show my personality when writing. I remember a time I wrote a story about a time that I ate a stick, and Mr. Allen lauded me for writing about my faults and showing who I am. His desire to see me improve myself extends even beyond the classroom. As my Cross-Country coach, Mr. Allen made sure I was able to meet my potential, from taking me aside to say "I believe in you" before my races to making me do 50 push-ups for taking a shortcut on the trail.

STAR Teacher of the Year: Mr. Patrick Allen-ELA Teacher-Alpharetta HS
When it comes to describing Varun’s abilities in the classroom, the only challenge is the surety that no matter what I say, or to what degree, there is no way to encompass how gifted a student and person Varun is. Varun is one of the most intelligent and driven students I have met in my teaching career. He exhibits no limits on the plasticity of his learning, and no challenge he would not willing take on if it leads to him becoming a better student. Varun exhibits the rare ability to challenge himself when he is not successful, and examine what is keeping from achieving the best possible outcome. Varun is not only a gifted student; he is also a tremendous athlete, helping our school cross country team place fourth in the State Championship. To do this, Varun worked nonstop to improve his times, bringing over a minute off his PR over the course of the season. Varun also is a natural leader of people; his classmates follow his lead, and he mentors other students and athletes. Perhaps the best compliment I could pay to Varun arises from my service in the Navy; as a former enlisted man, I’d have been happy to have Varun as an officer.