Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Banned Book Week

Banned Book Week was created to promote and educate the community that censorship is still a very serious problem in this society and that we should all be aware of our freedom to read. It is shown that surveys indicate that up to 85% of book challenges receive no media attention and remain unreported. Not every attempt to have a book removed from a library is known as many people are successful in removing or restricting access to ideas. In time, no one talks about these books at all and it seems that they have all been forgotten.
I wanted to celebrate Banned Book Week because books have been one of my closest friends. They have been there since my oldest memory of childhood and they have been there since I travelled and moved to America.
They have been my sanctuary to hide from reality and they have been my pastime.
Books have been a comfort to me for a long time and I wanted to share this feeling with my school. As students of Alpharetta High School, we should all understand that books are meant for sharing, cherishing, and reading by all. By spreading awareness about these banned books around the school, we are communicating our love for books and our desire to bring attention to books that never get to be read.